Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Game of Chess

I'm sure everyone has at one time or another heard that familiar and dreaded word "checkmate". It simply means you've lost at a game called chess. Chess has become a classic household game that people have been playing for a long time. I personally don't play chess very often, but I do enjoy the thought and strategy you have to put into playing such an intriguing, and sometimes complicated, game. 

The game of chess has been around since before the 6th century A.D., where it started in India. The game then became popular in Persia where the royalty would be required to learn the game and play it well as part of their education.
From there it went to Russia and eventually to the rest of Europe. In the 19th century, chess became popular in coffee houses all over the civilized world. The most famous being in London and Paris.
Chess is now a sport and there are tournaments all over the world that people come to compete in.

I've always thought chess was such a smart and glamorous game. The "elite" of board games, if you will.
What's your take on chess? Do you enjoy a good game every once in a while?

I would love to be playing chess in one of these pictures... so elegant and chic.









And thank you all so much for the sweet messages you sent me while I was away! I had a great time and I'm glad to be back blogging.

Stay Beautiful!
xoxo,
Elizabeth


22 comments:

  1. I had no idea chess could look SO chic!

    xoxo, Emily
    www.mainstreetchic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Crazy, huh?
      Thanks so much for stopping by to leave me a comment, Emily!
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Taj!
      I hope your day is going fabulous!
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. I love playing chess! I agree that it is the "elite" of board games :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, Barbara thought the idea of ​​your post.
    I do not know how to play chess, but I admire those who know and like a luxury jogar.Acho loved the game and learn more about. The pictures are wonderful.
    Hug and thanks for the lovely comment on my blog.
    Valeria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're very welcome!
      Gave a beautiful day, dear!
      Xoxo

      Delete
  5. Adorei as fotos são lindas. Adorei seu blog é muito bom estou seguindo, depois dá uma passadinha lá no meu! Beijinhos

    http://www.wefoundmoda.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Elizabeth good for u playing chess iv asked a friend of mine so many times to teach me but we never got around to it. i love these images those are killer nails. hope u enjoyed ur little holiday its so nice to get a break. have a great weekend kisses my darling from ur irish friend xx leonie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely learn how to play... It's a lot of fun! I wish I could teach you! :)
      I hope you have a fabulous weekend, dear!
      Xoxo

      Delete
  7. haha.. i got pretty good ideas :D
    funandyoungs.blogspot.com
    join and comment
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving me a comment! Have a wonderful day!
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. GREAT POST:) I really like your blog and I want to follow, do you have twitter or facebook??

    If you want some Swedish décor inspiration, you can check out my blog:)
    Have a great weekend.

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
    (Sweden)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hun! Unfortunately, right now I don't have facebook or twitter. :( maybe sometime in the future... thank for your interest, though.
      I would love to check out your blog...
      Have a beautiful day!
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. amazing pics!!
    http://laviecestchic.blogspot.com e la mia pagina fb su www.facebook.com/laviecestchic hope you like it!!
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete