Monday, June 4, 2012

Camouflaging A "Belly"

Happy Monday, Lovelies! I hope this post finds you well and having a great start to your week. 

Today I'm going to give you a few tips and tricks to hiding a "belly". Now before you start condemning yourself for eating that bowl of ice cream last night, let me remind you of something. Some women are just prone to gaining weight in their tummy area more than other women... stinks I know. If you've had children and you're noticing your belly isn't quite as flat anymore, or maybe you just have more of a rounded figure, this post is for you.

Like any body type, they have their pros and cons. The more rounded body type may not have the flattest midsection, but most of them tend to have fabulous legs {my mom definitely falls into this category. She has amazing legs. Me, not so much}. So take advantage of those amazing legs and show them off with fitted bottoms with different fun patterns and colors to draw attention to your lower half.  And don't forget your heels! They show off your legs even more.

Now, since the belly (the part we're trying to camouflage) is in the "middle" of our bodies, we don't want to bring attention to that area. That means no crazy patterns or horizontal stripes. We also want to give you more of a hourglass shape. To do this, we want to make sure there's definition right underneath the bust. This is where the smallest part of your waist is. Some people call these types of shirts "maternity" or "baby-doll" tops... but believe me they do a great job of smoothing out a not so flat stomach. But these aren't the only types of tops you can wear. You can also wear anything with rushing or draping around the belly area to kind of blur the bulge. Please don't misunderstand me when I say "draping". Some "draping" tops can be quite baggy, so please try them on. If a certain top make you look 20 pounds heavier, it's probably NOT the top for you. Oh, and please don't wear belts! They're meant to show off the midsection... need I say more? Another no-no is tucking your shirt in... it creates a line across your midsection, drawing attention to your waist, which we don't want.

You also want to bring attention to your beautiful face! Putting on a bold necklace, scarf or earrings brings the eye upward. And remember to smile ladies! It's another great way to bring attention to your face.

In summation: define the area right beneath the bust and wear tops with draping or rushing. And show off your beautiful face/decollete area and your fabulous legs!
Check out these outfits I put together below so you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.


Camouflaging a Belly by jesusekb on polyvore.com


If you don't want to just hide your belly bulge, but you want to get rid of it permanently, you probably already know what I'm going to tell you. Do lots of crunches and eat less carbohydrates and starches! You'll be amazed how much fat you loose on your belly when you don't eat pasta or bread. Easier said than done, right? Mmmhmmm.

You can get rid of "jiggling" by putting on a firming moisturizer on your tummy and love-handles everyday. I love Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula with Vitamin E. It firms and tones your skin, but it also smells like chocolate... YUM! This won't get rid of any fat, but it will help to firm any loose skin.

I hope you enjoyed this post and found it helpful.
Stay Beautiful!
xoxo,
Elizabeth


34 comments:

  1. I am now following this blog. OMG! I love it. I hope you can breeze over to my site: http://theproverbs.net and FOLLOW too. Thanks for your time...hope to hear from you soon :)

    steven b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by to follow... Have a nice day!

      Delete
  2. So very true! I always used to have a flat stomach but the past year or so after some fertility treatments I ended up gaining a bit of weight there. Cutting down on carbs definitely helps as does crunches but when all else fails the right cut of clothing does the trick :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Absolutely true! I'm so glad you found this post helpful. Always lovely to hear from you, dear!
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. You're speaking my language...come September after this baby, it's time to get my belly in shape again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your baby! I hope you're doing well... And thanks for stopping by to leave a comment, Hun!
      Xoxo

      Delete
  4. Elizabeth, good to know.
    I read all the tips. Here in Brazil, women are very fond of fashion.
    His explanations were fabulous.
    I embrace my dear Valeria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post! Have a beautiful day, dear.
      Xoxo

      Delete
  5. That top is perfect! It 'pulls' everything in visually. I've noticed that my stomach protrudes more after having my 2nd baby. (It bounced back after the first.) It isn't fat...it just lost the muscles that hold it in. Still not attractive. Ugh. Maybe more crunches?

    Amy

    fashionandbeautyfinds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Amy I'm sure your stomach is fine! You looked beautiful in your dancing outfit! I didn't notice any bulge, but you see yourself more than me so I guess you know best. I hope you enjoyed the post, Hun!
      Xoxo

      Delete
  6. Great tips and love the outfit. Picking the right clothes makes a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you there! Thanks for stopping by, Hun!
      Xoxo

      Delete
  7. These are some great tips! I have more of a hourglass figure, but I tend to eat too much ice cream sometimes :) so I'm sure I'll put some of these tricks to a good use! Thanks for sharing!

    xx Ivana
    Macarons and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Ivana! I tend to lean more towards the hourglass, so I usually don't have a problem with my belly. But every once in a while it can pooch out a bit.
      Thanks for commenting, hun!
      Xoxo

      Delete
  8. LOVE he pink/corla top! So cute! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dear!
      I love that top too.
      Have a beautiful day!
      Xoxo

      Delete
  9. Thanks for your tips. I love those lace shorts!

    Doll on Fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, I hope you have a great day hun!
      Oh, and I love those shorts too...
      Xoxo

      Delete
  10. Great post! This will also help with the temporary bulge after a carb heavy meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Kathleen! ;) I've been guilty of having quite a few of those.
      Thanks for stopping by, Hun!
      Xoxo

      Delete
  11. Great post. I have a little tummy and no matter how much I go to the gym (6 days a week) or how healthy I eat (gluten free diet for me) my tummy just doesn't want to go away. Like you mentioned...I do have killer legs - if I say so myself :) So I definitely try to show them off.
    -Madeleine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! If you have something you like then show it off and try to camouflage areas you're not particularly fond of. But know you're beautiful, Hun!
      Xoxo

      Delete
  12. Great post with great advice !!! I agree with you on the low carb diet...I adore carbs and even tho I am the slim type, I tend to get fat in my belly when I eat too much of them ! Since new year I have decided to lower my carbs intake and now my belly is more flat...but it takes sacrifice and it's good to know we can use clothing also to camouflage our little faults ! Kisses

    Fashion and Cookies
    Fashion and Cookies on Facebook
    Follow me on Bloglovin
    Twitter
    Win a $ 100 gift card on Shopbop Giveaway !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point! Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment, dear. Have a beautiful day!
      Xoxo

      Delete
  13. That necklace is divine!! Wow...love how you put this together...simple and fabulous!
    xo
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  14. really good post elizabeth, thanks for the tips, my belly is my problem area, its so hard to cut down on the carbs but i know i will have to, i love bread and pasta, hope your having a great week,kisses from dublin xxx leonie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope these tips helped some, Hun! I know what you mean about bread and pasta... I can't get enough of them! Especially gooey sweet yeast rolls... Heaven!
      Have a beautiful day!
      Xoxo

      Delete
  15. I loved these tips, Elizabeth! I would think that all women must have this problem at least some of the time if not all the time. I'll have to pick up the Palmer's cocoa butter ... if not for any other reason than smearing something that smells like chocolate and has vitamin E in it! Thanks for stopping by this week ~ always, always a pleasure! xox

    Sandy M ~ Ooh La Frou Frou
    http://oohlafroufrou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet, Sandy! I love when you stop by! You're always so encouraging, thank you.
      And yes, it's like putting on a bit of heaven when you slather on that cocoa butter... It smells so yummy!
      Have a beautiful day, dear.
      Xoxo

      Delete
  16. Hello Elizabeth.
    Looks wonderful!
    Beautiful post!
    Now I will share your blog.
    A hug from Brazil and thanks for the love with my blog.
    Valeria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun! You're so sweet and I appreciate your support so much!
      Xoxo

      Delete
  17. I'm your new follower :)
    I love your blog!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I so appreciate you commenting and following, Hun!
      Xoxo

      Delete