Monday, May 21, 2012

Fading Those Spots

As summer get closer and closer we usually start wearing less and less makeup. It can be pretty daunting going to that pool party and not wearing any concealer or foundation. Especially if you have sunspots from not wearing sunscreen, or if you have spots left over from past breakouts. We'll talk about how to actually get rid of acne in a later post, but today I wanted to give you a few creams and treatments that you can use to fade those pesky spots once and for all! 

I have struggled with acne, big pores, discoloration, redness, and the scars left over from my acne. The number one way I have found to protect yourself from getting scars after you breakout is to not pick the pimples! If you pick, you will bleed, which leads to a scab forming, and after that, a little spot that's not quite the same color as the rest of your skin. Some people get these spots easier than others. If you're fair you probably notice them more. I personally get them even when I don't pick the spot (WHY ME!?). So I have to focus more on prevention. But please don't pick! The spot will go away faster if you just leave it alone and let it do its own thing. 

But what do you do when you already picked at that pimple, or like me, you get the discoloration even if you didn't pick it? That's where handy creams and serums come in to brighten and slough away old skin and bring to the surface new and healthy skin. Buying a cream is way less expensive than going to get a treatment done at your dermatologist's office, and is also effective way longer.

Exfoliating can also help get rid of that old, discolored skin. Something like Aveeno's Positively Radiant Daily Cleansing Pads
 or Philosophy's The Microdelivery Peel


 help to exfoliate, but are also gentle on the skin. You don't want to tear your skin with sharp granules and irritate it.

A couple of serums that you can use to brighten your skin, whether they're acne spots or sun spots, are the Murad Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum




Creams to look into are the Ole Henrikson Sheer Transformation



(my personal favorite!)

If you already have a moisturizer you're using and loving you can add to it the Philosophy Turbo Booster C Powder


Something you can use while you sleep is the Korres Wild Rose + Vitamin C Advanced Brightening Sleeping Facial


Also make sure you wear sunscreen! You can make spots darker if you go out in the sun and don't have that protection. So go to the store RIGHT NOW and get sunscreen if you don't already have some. Not only will it protect your skin from getting sun spots, but you'll have less wrinkles as well.

Drinking lemon water is a great low-cost way of brightening your skin from the inside out. Green tea is another way to help brighten your skin, but water is the most important!

Don't expect creams or serums to work after one day of use, even if it says so on the bottle. Give it a good 6 months to a year (hello patience) to see how the product really works on your skin. If what you're using starts to irritate your skin, stop using it and move on to the next product. Don't keep using it! 

I hope this helped in some way and wasn't a repeat of stuff you've heard over and over again.... Enjoy your summer knowing that your skin is healthy and glowing even without the makeup!

Stay Beautiful!
xoxo,
Elizabeth


10 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for stopping by and for your sweet comment! So nice to meet you. This is a fabulous post. I work in the cosmetics industry and you're right on with your choices. Have a wonderful day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to meet you as well. I'm so glad I didn't give bad advice. Thanks for the encouraging comment! It was lovely of you to stop by!
      Xoxo

      Delete
  2. i'm kind of a product whore (excuse my french haha) so this post is right up my alley. thanks! new follower :) have a great day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I know what you mean...when I hear they've come out with a cream that'll help make you more beautiful I have to see for myself. Hehe! It was so sweet of you to stop by, comment, and follow! It made my day!
      Xoxo

      Delete
  3. Great tips! Thank you so much! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're so welcome, honey! I hope it helped. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!
      Xoxo

      Delete
  4. Hi dear, thanks so much for stopping by. Wow, you are so knowledgeable on beauty, some excellent advice. Followed you too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm glad the info helped some. I'm so tickled you're following me, wow! Have a beautiful week, Sam!
      Xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hi Elizabeth ... so nice to meet you! I just followed you too! Just read your Bio and love where you said you're a Princess of God ... so am I! Love meeting new blogging friends and am so happy to have met you. Love the recommendations you've made and am going to make some notes to try some of them ... we need all the help we can get during these sunny months, right? Hope you're having a great week!

    Sandy M ~ Ooh La Frou Frou
    http://oohlafroufrou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEAH! A sister in Christ! I'm so happy to meet you too, Sandy. :)
      You're so sweet to stop by and leave me such a nice comment.... they truly make my day! Thank you!
      You have a beautiful week!
      xoxo

      Delete